Guardian Crystals of Zaphoradraik
Pteribats are a reclusive race of forest creatures. They tend to collect in small tribes scattered throughout the forests of the world.
Pteribats are extremely tall, 7-8 feet tall or more on average with long slender limbs. They have three fingered talons for hands, the third digit of which extends to nearly their full height, stretching a flap of leathery skin attached to their waist to form a long wing, allowing them to fly. They have blunt noses and nearly perfectly spherical heads. Large scoop-like ears catch even the smallest of sounds as they swivel. They most often have pure white fur and become suspicious of a bat possessing a different color fur. Basic clothing such as a long robe or simple tunic is worn, allowing for a wide range of movement while still preserving modesty. They have long whip-like tails ending in a small spade, used for a rudder in flight.
They value their heritage and as such discourage inter racial relationships. If an interracial pair is found and a child has been created between them, the pteribat member is exiled from the tribe, regardless of their rank within it to preserve the purity that the pteribats prize in their bloodlines.
Relations: They don’t often form close relations with other races as a whole. Individuals of any given race can form relationships with one or more tribes, however. The only race pteribats have formed a begrudging friendship with are the ellar, who have allowed the homeless race to take residence within their forests and glades.
Alignment: Pteribats adhere to strict traditions and morals. They thus tend to relate to the lawful and good more often than any others.
Pteribat Lands: Pteribat tribes are scattered throughout the lush Zaphoran jungles. Each is its own unit and not all of them get along. Most are peaceful, though, and have contact with others they consider their allies. They’re typically built of a cluster of leaf and grass huts, some of the larger tribes maintaining a fortress like log wall with posted guards. They used to live in the forests of Zuiterland but have been kicked out of their homeland by the Vampire bats, leaving them to find niches through out the rest of the world.
Pteribats worship the sun, the ‘Sky Circle’ as they call it, bringer of the morning light. It inspires a feeling of safety and gratitude in the new day that comes, bringing with it an urge to better the tribe and build a stronger community within it.
Pteribats speak Echall, a high-pitched system of hypersonic shrieks that few can hear let alone understand. Some of the more literate members of pteribat society can speak Common but they often have difficulty understanding all of it due to the fact their ears are designed to hear much higher frequencies. But they can usually get enough to catch the gist of what’s being said.
Male Names: Kir’dan, Jek, Taal
Female Names: Vii, Nama, Sirna
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -4 Strength
- Size: Medium
- Type: Humanoid (Pteribat)
- Base Speed: 30 ft
- Languages: Echall. Members of this race with high intelligence can learn Common, Sylvan, and Pantherian.
- Stubborn: Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on Will saving throws to resist spells and spell-like abilities of the enchantment (charm) and enchantment (compulsion) subschools. In addition, if a member of this race fails such a save, it receives another save 1 round later to prematurely end the effect (assuming the spell or spell-like ability has a duration greater than 1 round). This second save is made at the same DC as the first. If the member of the race has a similar ability from another source (such as a rogue’s slippery mind class feature), it can only use one of these abilities per round, but can try the other on the second round if the first reroll ability fails.
Feats and Skills Traits
- Bonus Feat: Members of this race gain Blind Fight as a bonus feat.
- Climb: Members of this race have a climb speed of 20 feet, and gain the +8 racial bonus on Climb checks that a climb speed normally grants.
- Gliding Wings: Members of this race take no damage from falling (as if subject to a constant nonmagical feather fall spell). While in midair, members of this race can move up to 5 feet in any horizontal direction for every 1 foot they fall, at a speed of 60 feet per round. A member of a race with gliding wings cannot gain height with these wings alone; it merely coasts in other directions as it falls. If subjected to a strong wind or any other effect that causes a creature with gliding wings to rise, it can take advantage of the updraft to increase the distance it can glide.
- Weapon Familiarity: Members of this race are proficient with the Mambele and the Atlatl.
- Echolocation: Members of this race benefit from the spell of the same name. This effect is non-magical and constant but does not function if prevented from making noise.