Guardian Crystals of Zaphoradraik
Native to Pantheria and the dominant species, Pantherians are the most civilized of the common races. They don’t employ a great deal of ‘modern’ technology like some of the other races do but are more than capable with arrows and blades.
Pantherians display a wide array of fur patterns but their over-all body shape remains consistent. They average 5-6 feet tall and have 5-fingered, highly dexterous hand paws. Their feet are three-toed and seem comparatively small. This is because pantherians actually walk on just their toes, not letting their heels touch the ground unless something is very wrong with them. All paws of the pantherian, hand and foot, are armed with sharp, semi-retractable claws. These offer an advantage in unarmed combat and provide better traction while running. Aside from the lion variants, pantherians don’t have ‘hair’ like many other humanoid races, just a covering of very fine short fur. Their eyes range as widely as their fur patterns, anything from copper to yellow or blue to green is common. They possess non-prehensile tails used for added balance. It is typically between ½ to ¾ of the pantherian’s full height in length.
Pantherians are a proud race. They are the most magically capable of any common Zaphoran species and are well aware of it. However, despite their pride, they are a largely peaceful race. They don’t wish to participate in wars and treat ships coming to their ports from all countries as if they were their own. If crossed, however, they retaliate with long-lasting grudges dispelled only with time and shows of sincere apology.
Pantherians are typically lawful neutral. This is largely to do with their peaceful and proud tendencies. They will help if the cause is honorable, and oppose it if it threatens the balance.
Fate, deity of destiny and luck, is the main god of the pantherians. She is a judge of behavior and protects the balance of nature. She allows a few bad things to occur in order to test the character and devotion of her followers. She is lawful neutral and commands as follows: Trust in yourself and your capabilities. Follow your instincts, as your heart will never fail you. Know that if you give your all for what you believe, even if you die, it was for the best of all and you will be welcomed back to the River of Souls, helping to preserve the flow of life and magic through Zaphoradraik until you’re needed once more.
Sometimes a pantherian individual forms a bond of friendship with a dragon and so may enter into a partnership with them if the dragon agrees. To do this, a ritual is performed that binds the two together on a spiritual level. It’s akin to obtaining a familiar in that the ritual is a grueling 24 hour process requiring the participants to lay on their backs, head to head, within a spell circle. Once completed, they gain a telepathic link that allows them to converse in any language they both know. The pantherian has access to minor draconic powers, such as a weakened version of their counterpart’s breath weapon and draconic memory (similar to bardic knowledge), as well as 5 resistance to their companion’s breath type. Getting a dragon to agree to this is a long process in itself, however, most often requiring centuries of friendship and a deep level of trust.
Male Names: Ma’Dato, Raaksan, Ba’Dar
Female Names: Sia’att, Antari, Mirliee
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
- Size: Medium
- Type: Humanoid (Pantherian)
- Base Speed: 50 ft
- Languages: Common, Pantherian. Members with a high intelligence can learn Currish, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Sylvan, and Reptin.
- Cat’s Luck: Members of this race gain the following extraordinary ability: Once per day, when a member of this race makes a Reflex saving throw, it can roll the saving throw twice and take the better result. It must decide to use this ability before attempting the saving throw.
- Lesser Luck: Members of this race gain a +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
Feats and Skills Traits
- Silent Hunter: Members of this race reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a –20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this trait).
- Arcane Focus: Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on concentration checks made to cast arcane spells defensively.
- Fleet-footed: Members of this race receive Run as a bonus feat and a +2 racial bonus on initiative checks.
- Weapon Familiarity: Members of this race are proficient with Shortbow, Longbow, Shortsword, Rapier, and Kukri.
- Claws: Members of this race receive two claw attacks. These are primary natural attacks. The damage is based on the creature’s size .
- Low-light Vision: Members of this race can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.