Guardian Crystals of Zaphoradraik
Ellar are graceful, standing between 5-8 feet tall, weighing between 90-200 lbs. They have a range of complexions from light to dark but tend toward being fair skinned due to the shaded forest in which they live, with eyes of vibrant colors most commonly of blue, green, or violet. They typically have white, silver, or pale yellow hair and keep it long, allowing it to flow naturally over their shoulders and back (even in males). They tend to wear practical, comfortable clothes and they enjoy simple, but elegant jewelry. Though nobles and higher-ranked members of ellaren society will often wear bright shades of any color (typically matching that of their eyes), commoners tend to prefer earthy tones like green and brown. Ellar possess otherworldly grace and beauty, often attributed to their fey nature. An Ellar reaches adulthood at about 300 years of age and can live up to 2000 years.
Ellar are a friendly race. Thus, they are often inquisitive and curious when meeting those of other races. They have a welcoming culture and are more likely to be friendly than aggressive but are more than capable of defending themselves if attacked. They are a hidden race, keeping to their deep forest home. Their first reaction to outsiders that wander into their territory is to remain hidden, though they may still follow the strangers for a while in curiosity.
Ellar are friendly and playful, loving of art and song. They worship the lawful deity Zaphor, and keep to a strict set of rules that their friends are often held to, as well (ellar or otherwise). They tend to live in villages, mostly, though there are a number of cities that have sprung up in forests of many lands. The main and actually first settlement is a grouping of four villages centered around the Heart of Zaphor, an ancient and far-reaching tree. The well-hidden villages blend into the trees, doing no harm to the forest. They hunt small game, gather food, and cultivate wild berries and other plants in small patches between the trees. Their contact with outsiders is usually limited, given that they live so deep into the enchanted forests of the world. Local hunting parties will occassionally visit them, as do centaurian scouts, seeking to trade but outside of that the ellar villages are isolated and left much alone.
They share a belief system with the draken, worshiping their deity, the planet itself. This is the reason that the first four Ellar settlements are centered on the ancient tree, Heart of Zaphor. To help protect it while worshiping it as the very soul of the world.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma, +4 Dexterity, -2 Constitution
- Size: Medium
- Type: Fey
- Base Speed: Normal
- Languages: Sylvan, Common. Those with high intelligence may learn any language (except secret languages).
- Bond to the Land: Members of this race gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in a forest or jungle.
- Illusion Resistance: Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusion spells or effects.
- Fey Resistance: Members of this race gain DR 5/cold iron.
Feats and Skills Traits
- Focused Study: At 1st, 8th, and 16th level, members of this race gain Skill Focus in a skill of their choice as a bonus feat.
- Silent Hunter: Members of this race reduce the penalty for using Stealth while moving by 5 and can make Stealth checks while running at a –20 penalty (this number includes the penalty reduction from this trait).
- Arcane Focus: Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on concentration checks made to cast arcane spells defensively.
- Greater Change Shape: Members of this race gain the following supernatural ability: a member of this race can assume the appearance of a Small or Medium humanoid as the alter self spell, save that it does not adjust its ability scores.
- Envoy: Members of this race with an Intelligence score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, read magic. The caster level for these effects is equal to the user’s character level.
- Weapon Familiarity: Members of this race are proficient with Shortbows, Longbows, Greatbows, and katanas.
- Fairy Blood: Ellar cannot lie in any language. Their bluff check instead becomes how well they can hide their true intent with double-speak or subtly slipped words.
- Fairy Soul: An ellar’s full name – given name, taken name, family name – acts like a spell when clearly spoken to them, followed by a command. The ellar is allowed a will save (DC= 20 + (Caster level – Target’s class level)) to resist the command. Immunity to compulsions granted from class levels or other magic does not block this effect but does grant a +10 to the check and prevents critical fails. Failure means the ellar is forced by compulsion to complete the task, even if doing so would be harmful to themselves or those they care about. An example being a level 2 human sorcerer attempting to dominate a level 15 ellar wizard. DC 20 + (2-15), or 20-13, or DC 7 to resist the command. Conversely, a level 10 human fighter commanding a level 5 ellar ranger would be DC 20 +( 10-5), or 20 + 5, or DC 25 to resist the command.
Traits detailed above are for a standard forest ellar, but pockets of ellar can be found guarding nature everywhere. Race pages are independent of this one, abilities and powers listed are what the race has. ‘Replacing’ everything from the base forest ellar.